Over on the Cornish National Music Archive website, the creator of the wonderful Sounds Like Cornwall archive, Chris Trevena, has held a series of conversations with Dr Merv Davey. Merv and his brothers are synonymous with the Cornish traditional music revival of the 1970s, and he is also a past Grand Bard of Gorsedh Kernow.
In his conversation with Chris (which you can listen to or read a transcription), Merv talks about his own life, his musical family, learning Cornish, and deeper topics like Cornish cultural identify and cultural confidence.
The recordings are available via BandCamp, and the transcriptions can be found here:
- Conversation 1: About Merv and Cornish cultural confidence.
- Conversation 2: Where do many Cornish tunes come from?
- Conversation 3: Dancing and tea treats.
- Conversation 4: About the Cornish National Music Archive.
- Conversation 5: Cornish pipes and pipers (and more).
These are absolutely fascinating conversations and recommended for all readers of Cornish Trad!